Vlisco Print Designer
To be a Vlisco print designer is to be part of the world’s best print design team and to continue over 100 years of Dutch heritage and its contribution to African culture. It is to be able to create every year at least 12 works of art that can be converted into commercial prints for Vlisco’s African consumers.
What are the key tasks?
- Thinking, drawing by hand and digital illustration to create surprising, vibrant and delicate designs that offer levels of interpretation for the African consumer to express individual identity.
- Understanding the long history of Vlisco design and its very specific and unusual handwriting. This will require patience and preparedness to learn.
- Learning the technicalities of wax printing and how your designs need to meet technical specifications.
- Experimenting with new print and design techniques.
- Seeking inspiration from your own sources but also from the Vlisco print archive (the world’s biggest) and from trips to Africa.
What are the required standards?
- Creating designs that are bold as well as beautiful and that demonstrate your own distinct handwriting.
- Using market feedback on your designs and their commercial success to adapt and improve.
- Finding the right balance between commerciality and artistic merit. Some, but not all, designs can be more eye-catching than commercial.
- Being present in the design studio in Helmond at least three days a week to confer and exchange views with colleagues.
- Seeking excellence through constant interrogation of where the best prints in the world are to be found.
What is your background?
- Creative degree from a leading design school.
- Professional experience is an advantage but potential is what will count.
- Experience of team work alongside individuality.
Are you interested?
This is a full-time position (38 hours). If you would like more information about this vacancy, you can reach out to Heleen Poirters by email; firstname.lastname@example.org. If you consider yourself to be the right candidate, please apply by sending us your resume, portfolio and reason for your interest by using the button below.